After accidentally ordering 1kg of ginger instead of 1 piece, I’ve had to come up with ways to up my weekly intake of fresh ginger… I find this sweet creamy style of smoothie so much more enjoyable than those zingy ginger “detox juices” and more drinkable for first thing in the morning. That said, half a piece of ginger is quite a bit (and you can add even more), so you still get that tangy punch coming through the creaminess, which is so refreshing and a great way to start the day with a gentle kick. If you are having this as your breakfast, I recommend adding a small handful of oats to get those slow releasing carbs which will keep you full all morning.
- 1/2 piece (a large thumb-sized) fresh ginger
- 1 small, well ripe or overripe banana
- 3 tablespoons Fage or similar plain Greek yoghurt
- Milk of choice
- 1 teaspooon chia seeds
- Honey, to taste
- Dash vanilla extract
- Vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Handful oats (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Peel and grate or mince the ginger. Place in a dish with the banana and mash together well.
- Add to a blender with the yoghurt, a dash of milk, a small dash of vanilla and the chia seeds, and also your protein powder or oats if using. Blend.
- Add more milk if required for a drinkable consistency and add honey to taste.
- Blitz again with the ice cubes or serve over ice.