Adapted from Thalia Ho’s (Butterandbrioche.com) “Raspberry Almond Streusel”.
for the pastry:
caster sugar, 70g
100g unsalted butter, cold
egg yolk, 1
for the streusel:
plain flour, 35g
golden caster sugar, teaspoon
unsalted butter, cold, 20g
flaked coconut/coconut chips, 20g
for the coconut frangipane:
unsalted butter, room temperature, 80g
caster sugar, 80g
apricot brandy, 2 teaspoons
lemon zest, pinch
coconut powder, 120g
ground almonds, 40g
plain flour, 20g
blueberries, large handful, to top
to make the pastry
- Place all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl, mix to combine. Add in the egg yolk and mix.
- Gradually add small amounts of cold water and mix with a knife until just combined, but not wet. Wrap in cling film or place in sandwich bag and place in refrigerator.
for the streusel
- Mix flour, sugar and salt. Add butter in small chunks at a time, rubbing in with your fingers as you would to make pastry, but leaving large chunks rather than continuing to breadcrumb stage.
- Mix through the coconut chips. Place in refrigerator.
for the coconut frangipane
- Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric beater for a few minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, zest, brandy. Mix.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
to assemble the tart
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c. Grease well an 8 inch flan tin or cake tin.
- Take your pastry from the fridge. Lightly flour a surface and roll it out to around 4mm thickness. Wrap it around the rolling pin and lift over the tin, then gently ease it in. Press the pastry into the base of the tin and cut off any excess to make a neat base.
- Cover the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, or rice if you do not have them. Blind bake the pastry case for 10 minutes or until it is mostly dried out.
- When your pastry is blind baked, take your frangipane and spread it evenly over the base of the tart.
- Take your blueberries and scatter them over the frangipane, pressing them lightly into the mix but not covering them.
- Sprinkle the tart with the streusel mix.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the frangipane is set and the base is cooked. Leave to cool before serving.